That's Ridonkulous!

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Opening the lines of communication - Rogier van Bakel

I just sent this email off to Rogier van Bakel. My hope is to gain some insight into the minds of some other prominent libertarian bloggers and activists within the libertarian movement. If we're not on the same page with those who could help give the LP the boost that it needs, what hope do we have in gaining some real momentum (i.e. - non-libertarians) ?

Hey Rogier,

I guess I’ll start off by saying I’m a fairly regular reader of your blog. I came to understand and appreciate libertarianism through Peter McWilliams book “Ain’t Nobody’s Business…” as well. Peter actually called me a long time ago, at the height of his books popularity. He had a mailing list (not sure if you were ever on it) and he asked to see his readership at one point in time. So I sent him a picture of myself, and to my surprise about 2 days later I got a call in my home in NJ. I was shocked to tell you the truth…I was only about 18, 19 at the time, and here is a man who I truly admired, calling me personally. Needless to say to this day, I’ve been inspired to try to get the word out about libertarianism and let people know of another political option.

I’ve followed the LP pretty much since Peter’s book and only joined it until recently, after they put out their “Iraq Exit Strategy”. While admitting that the LP has been much of a failure in the 30 years of its existence, I take issue with the conventional reasons offered for its failure. Rather than placing all the blame squarely on the LP, I’m inclined to think that if those people (who gave the party more credibility) hadn’t left the party, the LP would be in a much better position today. What’s done is done though, and you can’t harp on the past. So what’s in store for the future? Do we continue to try and function with all these numerous libertarian organizations and separate efforts, or do we suck it up and realize that the LP, CAN BE the party we make of it. When do we stop running from frustration from lack of success? Frustration for those who left the party just seems to have been diverted to accepting the fact that we will constantly be mislabeled, ignored, and marginalized.

This is the reason I’ve given the LP the benefit of the doubt, despite its many failures. Radley Balko and even CATO for that matter, continually get labeled as conservative or Republican. The problem we’ve faced has never been about legitimacy, it’s choice…and those who stick around long enough to help make it a reality. It always has been about choice. I don’t think any libertarian today, would disagree that a strong Libertarian Party would be to the benefit of ALL libertarians and our respective think tanks and organizations. Bob Barr, a former staunch Republican came out admitting this, as he threw his support behind Badnarik in 2004. What would happen if we all followed suit?

So my long, drawn out question to you is, what do you make of this all? Is writing, blogging, and screaming from the rafters all we could hope for? Or do we storm the presidential debates and demand to be heard? Do we look tirelessly for a libertarian celebrity that could circumvent the inevitable MSM blackout? While I don’t mean to demean anyone’s efforts who have the left the LP, I have to ask, why can’t our goals coincide a bit more often? All I’m doing here honestly Rogier, is trying to open the lines of communication. Just like Peter did with me. Your response would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Robert D.

FYI:
I’m going to post this email on my blog. With your permission I’d like to post your response.
My blog is here:
http://thatsridonkulous.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home