That's Ridonkulous!

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Libertarian government employee: Hypocrisy?

I recently landed a job doing Network/Desktop support for my local, county government. I was fairly confident going into the interview that my previous work experience would put me at the top of the list for serious consideration. After the interview was over, I was excited, nervous, and a little perplexed. Perplexed because I found myself needing to contemplate what this meant to me (if anything) when compared to my libertarian beliefs.

Was I being hypocritical for considering a position in government, even if that position was one of a low level techie? Clearly I wasn’t, but the mere history of what this party has been about has subjugated it to where it should be today by suppressing any reasonable voices that didn't toe the party line. Objectivity still must be used even with a guiding set of principles.


Good government comes about primarily through the local level. The LP needs to establish a more meaningful and broader definition of libertarianism that is palatable to the voters, and can do so without compromising its principles. It should be a proponent of good, small local governments VS. a strong federal, centralized & distant government. It should emphasize its strong support for state's rights and the value that comes along with being a pluralistic society (each state being able to experiment). It should simply distinguish itself from the D's and R's by what most matters, i.e. - that we are both socially liberal AND fiscally responsible. When you begin to show a complete disdain for ALL matters of government, then I think you really need to re-consider politics as a hobby. There is no libertopia, and there will never be one.

Getting back to my job...within my own group, I have to say that everyone is conscious that the taxpayers pay their salaries. The use of county vehicles, business phones, etc. are closely monitored for abuse, and overall the IT department is pretty much locked down. On the other hand, I have also had some conversations with my co-workers about some of the counties blatant inefficiencies and misuse of its funds. Of course, this is why we need LP'ers involved at the local level!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home