That's Ridonkulous!

Friday, August 05, 2005

Doug Stanhope responds...

Here's Doug's response to my email. I think there's definitely merit to his suggestion. I'm afraid that even with all the reforms we'd like to see in place, we'd still be shut out of the MSM. I'm definitely sticking with trying to reform the LP until 2008, but we need to start thinking now about potential celeb candidates of our own. I think our best chances of success are if Ventura runs, coupled with a Libertarian celeb candidate. The hardest part, as Doug notes, is finding them. If you agree that a celeb candidate is the way to go, who are the potentials and how do we go about getting them on board?

Was just talking to Penn about the same thing - Celebrity President is the only way you'll get the LP noticed. They can and will always ignore any Badnarik you put on the ticket. They cant ignore a celeb. The problem is finding the celeb.

I also believe that the way to do it would have to be as an independent using a Lib platform. Otherwise you open yourself up to all the criticism of the same party doctrine you see the most orthodox Libs mired down in. A moderate LP candidate would still be twisted by media as being for the most extreme ideals ie, all drugs legal, open borders, etc.

Independent is the way to go. Celeb Indy using many of the platforms of the LP. But what do I know? My whole life is fucked up but I think I'm enjoying myself.

Keep me informed.


Here was my email to him:


From: "Robert Daunno" RDaunno@adelphia.net
Reply-To: RDaunno@adelphia.net
To: doug@dougstanhope.com
Subject: A question Doug, from a fan...
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:51:58 -0400>

Hey Doug,

Rather than bog you down with bullshit in this email, I'll get straight to the point as I know you're a busy man. I'm writing to you as a libertarian who's trying to reform the Libertarian party, along with a loosely assembled group. The problem we see with it being that they have been too stubborn and too goddamn ideologically pure. They don't want to engage in politics and seem to be fine with the party being ineffectual. And hey, I hate politics too, but we're not going to get there unless we get past just speaking philosophically. So to date already, we have had some success and have shaked things up a bit.

The reason I'm contacting you is that we could sure use your help, and every other celebrity figure that has some sort of notoriety for that matter. I know, celebrity figure is probably something you'd outright reject, but I'm definitely one of your fans. I bought all 3 of your CD's and I have the Deadbeat Hero DVD.

It's like you said, "we have shit to do". I really believe that's why this country is so apathetic and more freedom lovers haven't risen up. They get their money yanked from their pockets every Friday, get pulled over by some cop with an ego the size of Jill Kelly's fagina, ticketed for not wearing a damn seatbelt, and then to top it all off are told to "have a nice day". Fuck that.

Anyways, back to the point of this email. I wish I had specifics on what I had in mind, but I don't. I guess I would have to hear from you first. I know your friends with Penn Jillette, and the whole Aristocrats movie is coming my way soon, here in St. Lucie West, FL. That's the kind of shit I envision. Penn's Bullshit episode, the Aristocrat's movie, this new movie coming out called V for Vendetta. Activism through a network of self proclaimed libertarian celebrities. I mean, is it so farfetched? Ralph "I look like a tree hugger" Nader boosted the Green Party's image. Why can't the libertarians have the same? And I totally understand if you brush this email off. I know you've done your part just by the stand up you've done alone. The amount of people you've made laugh and think in your routine, the amount of people Penn made think from his Showtime show. I just wish it was followed up with a "Vote Libertarian", or "join the only party that will respect your rights, the Libertarian Party". And I saw your endorsement for Badnarik, that was awesome (and hilarious). We need to get things going in the off season, so that come election time our vote is more than just a pie in the sky, but a message that some sort of movement is afoot. A message that we've had enough. Let me know either way what your thoughts are on this Doug.

Thanks for listening,
Robert D.

7 Comments:

  • I don't know him, but I nominate Dave Chapelle for President. Married, has an apparent committment to a principle more important than money and doesn't appear to be reticent about saying anything he feels needs to be said...

    By Blogger Thane Eichenauer, at 4:47 AM, August 08, 2005  

  • Nice. So do you think he would run as Dave or Charlie Murphy? :o)

    By Blogger Rob D., at 8:20 AM, August 08, 2005  

  • Having a celeb lib run independent, eh? Might work, but it doesn't give any credence to the existence of the LP at all. Of course the real need is to get libertarian ideas into the MSM in a much more positive light.

    I think this shows a really good argument, though, about folks who might otherwise be in a position to run as Libertarian candidates who simply would not because of the platform itself.

    And besides, Dave would probably have to run as Rick "cocaine is a hell of a drug" James. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 AM, August 08, 2005  

  • BTW, I think I'll nominate Penn Jilette.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM, August 08, 2005  

  • "Having a celeb lib run independent, eh? Might work, but it doesn't give any credence to the existence of the LP at all."

    True enough. If we're working to make the LP strong come 2008, it doesn't make sense to throw our weight behind a candidate running as an independent. My suggestion though, (slightly different from Doug's) was to have what he suggested, plus a Libertarian celeb). I guess my hopes are based on too many conditional factors (i.e. - Ventura running as well as a Libertarian celeb). I just think it would be much more difficult for the CPD to justify an exclusion of 2 high profile celebs.

    The way society views our political landscape needs to change as much as the LP needs to get its act together. My biggest fear continues to be the political barriers that remain in place. (McCain-Feingold, Presidential debates, Ballot access, etc.)

    Can we do anything about this stuff in the offseason? We tried a lawsuit against the CPD didn't we? Does the Institute for Justice's work include this type of litigation?

    By Blogger Rob D., at 7:21 PM, August 08, 2005  

  • I can't say that I have any familiarity with how we should or could attempt to circumvent or call into question ballot access lawas an other such hindrances to third parties. I'm not even sure what they all are, for that matter.

    Perhaps the best question would be is that something the LP can, or should, put together in a place where it would be easy for us to find these things out and, therefore, possibly be able to do something about them?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 PM, August 09, 2005  

  • Rob,
    This is good stuff. Keep reaching out to lib. celebs. I think to make meaningful gains for the LP, the candidate needs to say the party name over and over and cast it in a positive light. That's why platform reform is so important.

    That being said, an ind. with lib. ideas would not be a total loss. S/he would still put anti-big-government ideas out into the MSM.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM, August 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home